Which Australian girl are you most like?
To find out, read the questions below and write down the letter that appears next to the answer you choose.
- Which hobby do you like best?
- Reading F
- When things aren't going your way, are you most likely to...
- Lose your temper and then regret it F
- Cry and hide yourself away for a whileD
- Get cross and maybe even yell a littleC
- Try your hardest to fix thingsE
- Distract yourself with your fave thingsB
- Make a plan to make things betterA
- How would your friends describe you?
- Dedicated and loyalA
- Always sunny and optimisticF
- Fun and outgoing, with lots of interests and hobbiesC
- Take a while to trust people, but once you do, you're friends for lifeB
- Sweet, generous and kindD
- A bit of a perfectionistE
- What would you most like to be when you grow up?
- A vetB
- A diplomatA
- A dancerE
- A dress designerD
- A teacherC/F
- What is your favourite food?
- Strawberries with whipped cream F
- Freshly baked breadD
- Apple pieC
- Cinnamon bunB
- Anything from a BBQA
- How would you most like to celebrate your birthday?
- Go to the beach with your best friend and your brothers and sistersE
- Eat an enormous feast of all your favourite foodsF
- Have a big party with everyone you knowA
- Have your favourite food at home with your family and a couple of close friendsB
- Invite your six best friends over for a sleepover with craftD
- Have a picnic outside in a beautiful parkC
- Which book would you be most likely to read?
- A book about mythical creatures in a fantasy landF
- The Secret GardenD
- Black BeautyB
- A big book of interesting factsA
- Seven Little AustraliansE
- Treasure IslandC
- What is your favourite type of holiday?
- A trip to a city with museums and galleriesE
- A mountain-climbing tripC
- A cooking courseF
- A farm stay with lots of animalsB
- A camping trip by the riverA
- A boat ride around Sydney harbourD
- How do you get on with your brother or sister?
- Sometimes we get on but sometimes they're really annoying.C
- I look up to them, but sometimes I feel a bit left out.D
- I love playing games and hanging out with them.A
- They're my favourite person in the world.E
- I'm an only child.B
- I no longer live with them.F
- What type of weather do you like best?
- Blue skiesD
- What is your favourite animal?
- If you answered mostly As:
- You are most similar to Poppy! Like Poppy, you're outgoing and adventurous, and you love a new challenge. You're always planning for the future and most people would say you're pretty optimistic. You're popular and loyal, and you love getting together with friends in the great outdoors.
- If you answered mostly Bs:
- You and Grace have a lot in common - you're both dreamy and quiet, and you can be a little shy at first. You love animals (especially horses!) and nature. It might take a while for you to get to know people, but once you do, you're the best friend a girl could have. You can get lost in your own daydreams and stories, and your imagination can get you through anything!
- If you answered mostly Cs:
- You're a regular Rose - a determined girl who knows what she wants. You have big dreams of travelling the world and meeting lots of different people. You're not afraid of standing up for yourself, and sometimes that can lead to arguments! But while you might get called stubborn, underneath you have a heart of gold.
- If you answered mostly Ds:
- You're just like Letty! You're very kind and always generous. Sometimes it can take you a while to get used to new things, but that's ok! You're artistic, and like sewing and craft. You are very good at putting other people before yourself. You're the best sort of friend, but watch out for people who might take advantage of your good nature.
- If you answered mostly Es:
- You're an Alice, for sure! You throw yourself into whatever you do, and you like to be good at it – maybe even the best. Family is really important to you and loyalty is one of your best qualities. You’re passionate and dedicated, but make sure you’re not too hard on yourself! Nobody can be perfect all the time.
- If you had a mixture of answers:
- You're most like Nellie – a people person with a big heart. You love books, stories and anything to do with food. Most of the time you’re pretty happy and easy-going, and people love to be around you. But if you lose your temper – watch out! Keeping your cool could be your biggest challenge in life. You enjoy planning for the future, and one day you might end up in a job where you get the chance to help other people. Bonus!
- If you had a mixture of answers:
- You're a little bit like all our OAGs! A bit dreamy, a bit sporty, sometimes shy and sometimes outgoing. You have lots of different types of friends and interests, and sometimes it might seem like you don't know what you want to do when you grow up - there are too many choices! But don't worry - with talents like yours, there's heaps of time to decide.
How well do you know our OAG girls?
Test your knowledge in our OAG quiz! Please select one of these options you like below to start
How I Became an Australian Girl activity
You'll see at the back of every OAG book that each of our authors has written a paragraph about her own history, and about how she became an Australian girl. On this page, you can do the same thing.
- Do you know how you came to be an Australian girl?
- Are you an indigenous Australian whose family has been here for a very long time?
- Or maybe your ancestors were convicts, like Grace?
- Did your great-great-grandparents come here after a war, or during the Gold Rush?
- Perhaps members of your family came here as refugees or were adventurers who came here to start a new life.
Everyone has a fascinating story. You might like to ask your parents or relatives how YOU became an Australian girl, and then you can tell us below. Send in your own story and we will publish it here on the site. That way you can read all about lots of other Australian girls too.
You can also make your own family tree by clicking here and then filling in the boxes.
Creative Writing activity
We'd love to hear your ideas for more OAG stories about girls from the past. Is there an Australian girl from a time gone by that you would like to meet? Is she from the country or the city? Which state? Does she come from a big family or is she an orphan? What was happening in Australia when she was the same age as you - a bush fire, a war, cyclone, a festival, or maybe a sports match or a horse race?
Tell us the name of your OAG, the year her story happens, and where she is from. Then write the first paragraph of her story.
Make Your Own OAG Cover activity
At OAG HQ, we love craft! That's how we came up with the ideas for the covers. Each OAG book cover has a collage of some special little objects that relate to the story and tell you something about the characters.
You can make your own OAG cover that tells the world something about you - here's how. When you've finished, scan it and email to us!
- Find fabrics with your favourite colours and patterns to use as a background.
- Next, get a favourite photo of yourself or ask someone to take one. Cut out a border for a frame, and stick it on the fabric.
- Then you need to find the special little objects that say something about who you are - a photo of your pet, your favourite piece of jewellery, a hair ribbon or an important treasure. You could draw, photograph, paint, scan or cut them out. Place them around the cover.
- You might like to add in the special OAG heart in the top corner, and a bracelet with the year you were born.
- Add in your name, and you're done! You can scan, photograph or photocopy the final version for everyone to see, or email it in to us and we'll put it up on the site.
Our Ultimate Fan competition has now closed. Stay tuned - we'll be announcing the winner very soon!
We are all Australian girls each one unique
Reaching out across centuries, far lands and seas
And even though I might seem different from you
If you take my hand let's share history too.
Each of our girls has a story to tell
An adventure, a journey, a growing as well
Each one of them shares part of our history
Each one an Australian girl like you and me.
Click here to download mp3 file
( press Ctrl + right click and then select "Save Link As" )